ABOUT COLLEGE OF PHARMACY
The College of Pharmacy was established in 1959 (1379 H), two years after the foundation of King Saud University (Formerly named as Riyadh University). A four- year pharmacy curriculum was adopted, with an enrollment of seventeen students in the first year, who commenced their studies under the guidance of three faculty members in four departments, namely, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, Pharmacognosy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. By the first semester of 1979-1980 (1399-1400 H), there were 35 faculty members and more than 350 students enrolled in a five-year program. This academic year witnessed the establishment of the Department of Clinical Pharmacy as the fifth department of the college. Since its foundation, the College of Pharmacy is continuously updating its curriculum, to keep pace with the rapidly evolving pharmacy profession. In 1975 (1395 H), new patient oriented courses were introduced, while in 1979 (1399 H) a new curriculum emphasizing the pharmacist’s role in patient care was adopted, encompassing the expansion in clinical pharmacy and other supporting courses.In 1993 (1413 H), a new curriculum consisting of 10 one semester levels was adopted. The basic health science courses were reduced to 14 credit hours, offered in the first level. The student chooses one of the professional areas (20 credit hours), offered in the ninth level. In the tenth level, the student receives training in various areas of the pharmacy profession. In 1982 (1402 H), a curriculum for graduate studies was adopted, for the M.Sc. degree in various departments. The college departments are involved in the continuous evaluation of their graduate programs to keep up with the developments of various fields.
In addition to teaching responsibilities, the faculty members in various departments are actively involved in research. A number of modern sophisticated equipments operated by well trained personnel are available for supporting such research activities.