Pharmacy is one of the first scientific subjects taught at the University of Athens. On May 18th, 1835 by Royal Decree was established in Athens the “Theoretical and Practical Didactic Shop of Surgery, Medicine and Pharmacopoeia” and this was exactly two years prior to the actual inauguration of the University of Athens (May 3rd, 1837).
However, “practicing” pharmacists pre-existed in the country. According to the historians, during the pre-Revolutionary years (early 1800s) Greek pharmacy stores were run by medical doctors in show-cases which contained, mostly, first-aid drugs. Other drugs were also sold “in makeshift shops, by the barefoot doctors or by old ladies who practiced therapeutics with tender care towards the ill”. Prescription products were also available in the form of antipyretic elixirs, tonic drops, pills, etc. (more…)